Guitar Styles of Roy Nichols
Usually ships the next business day
The Guitar Styles of Roy Nichols Video is my tribute to Roy Nichols. I am donating the proceeds of this project to the Nichols family. Roy is best known as the guitarist for Merle Haggard for many years. I was greatly influenced by Roy's playing.
This video takes a new approach to guitar instruction. It uses a close-up birds-eye-view camera angle, just like you would see yourself play. The material is played full speed as a demo like the picture on the right below, then the birds-eye view is used when describing the notes in detail. The pictures below are actual clips from the video.
The project was produced in digital video and is available on DVD-R only. To save the cost of duplication fees, the DVD-R recordable format was chosen. What is DVDR?? Please check your DVD player manual of check here to see if your DVD player can play DVD-R.
This is a SAMPLE of the video content. It has been processed for fast web viewing and does not represent the quality of the video that is contained on the DVD.
The video comes with a 35 page book containing guitar tablature and standard music notation. The book has a history on Roy Nichols, a tablature explanation guide, scales reference, diminished arpeggio pockets guide, and other useful resource information. Here is an example of the tablature. Also, the harmony structure of Stealin' Corn is broken down into chart form.
An audio CD is also included with rhythm tracks for each selection. This gives you something to play along with, which helps timing development. A lead-in click is included with each track to synchronize you to the music. Here is a short sample of the rhythm tracks. You could use the rhythm tracks to record along with your guitar and go back and play the steel guitar notes over the top of it.
NEW - I have recently had requests for rhythm tracks of Stealin' Corn that have one guitar part on it. You can use those to play play harmony along with me. I also recorded a full audio version of Stealin' Corn. They were not offered on the original ryhthm tracks CD, so I have provided them here.
This DVD makes full use of DVD chapters. This allows you to quickly get random access to any song on disc. For instance, the demonstration of the song at full speed is on a DVD chapter, and the instructional section of the song is on a chapter. You can set your DVD player to repeat any section. This ends the task of rewinding the old VHS tape to only hope you get close to what you want to see.
|20 DVD Chapters
2. Video Approach
3. String Bending
4. Chicken Pickin'
5. Mama Tried - Demo
6. Mama Tried - Instruction
7. Hammin' It Up - instrumental solo version - Demo
8. Hammin' It Up - instrumental solo version - Instruction
9. Diminished Arpeggios
10. Every Fool Has A Rainbow - instrumental solo version - Demo
11. Every Fool Has A Rainbow - instrumental solo version - Instruction
12. Honkytonk Night Time Man - original studio solo- Demo
13. Honkytonk Night Time Man - original studio solo- Instruction
14. Corrine Corrina - live solo - Demo
15. Corrine Corrina - live solo - Instruction
16. Am I Standing In Your Way - original studio intro - Demo
17. Am I Standing In Your Way - original studio intro - Instruction
18 Stealin' Corn - guitar instrumental - Demo
19. Stealin' Corn - guitar instrumental - Instruction (includes steel guitar instrumental notes played on guitar, instrumental album solo, and live album solo)
20. Workin' Man Blues - original studio solo Demo (tab based on the James Burton solo)
Running time: 70 minutes
Australian Capital News Magazine - Cowboys in cyberspace - By Bob Howe
The Review Zone - The Telecaster Discussion Page Reissue
NOTE: Mail orders by check or money order are no longer accepted
Terry Downs Music Home - Customer Service - Contact Terry Downs